Twitter has changed main page. Propably you know about it, right? In my opinion: still not perfect, but much better than it was earlier. New design, new informations, new links, huge search box… these are the most important changes.
About new twitter‘s layout we can hear from almost everybody (New Twitter Homepage Goes Live With Search Front And Center on TechCrunch, Twitter Debuts New Homepage and The Goal of Twitter’s New Homepage? Be the World’s Water Cooler on Mashable, Twitter Redesigns As Streaming Trends Site on ReadWriteWeb). Now, you can hear about it from me, too.
Why is that? Why I want to write about it, although everybody else wrote about it earlier? My reason is really simple: this change is important. Twitter became one of the most important social media site in the Internet and it’s worth to notice all kind of bigger changes in it.
First… have a look at the old version of twitter’s homepage…
… and now, have a look at the new version of this website…
First impression: much better!
- much better headline… “Share and discover what’s happening right now, anywhere in the world” is much more interesting, than boring “Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co-workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?”. Don’t you think?
- better design
- huge search box (really well-working search box)
- popular topics by the minute, day and week
- all the links in the footer and all the informations under these links
one more thing…
- less popular topics (8th topic in ‘right now’, 9th topic in ‘today’, 10th topic in ‘this week’) – these transparent and opaque at the same time, non-clickable things (I mean – topics) – what is this? Come on twitter’s designers – homepage is not a good place, for putting topics, which are non-clickable. This is so annoying, non-usable… thing.
what’s the most important? now it’s much better than it was few days ago!